A Blog about the things that keep geeks from getting old

Comics-Cartoons-Video games-TV-Sports
Thats what keeps geeks from getting old

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Scarlet Review

Scarlet - Written by Brian Michael Bendis Art by Alex Maleev

Marvel’s super heroes may have entered the heroic age, but Scarlet is setting out to be the anti-hero. I wasn’t sure what to make of this book but I was drawn in by the cover art. Maleev’s heavy lines combined with the nice color job really made this book jump off the rack. With absolutely no expectations I read this book as soon as I was home.
The imagery, writing, and coloring set this as a very dark book. The story even opens with the heroine strangling out a corrupt cop. You’re not quite sure how to feel about Scarlet off the bat. But after the how and why are eventually explained you get it. That’s when you feel yourself being pulled in. Scarlet actually addresses you as she tells her back story. Bendis uses this perspective to gives the book a interactive feel. The story is something I’ve seen a time or two before but it does stand on it‘s own. If your looking for something different I would truly give this book a try. Maybe you will be as surprised as I was.
Rating 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment